domingo, 6 de mayo de 2001

AUTUMN TEARS INTERVIEW

 

Autumn Tears is a really special band. Their music can be dark, depressive, gothic and extremely beautiful. The beauty of their music lies fundamentally in the vocals of Erika Swinnich and Jeniffer LeeAnna who have done a great work in their latest album " Love Poems for Dying Children - Act 3: Winter and the Broken Angel". Erika Swinnich explained the trilogy to us and a lot of other things.



What is the saga of "Love Poems for Dying Children " about? Why was it made in three acts?

Erika: Hi Federico! The story that spans the three full length CDs is about a vampiric nature spirit, "Autumn the Beautiful." She represents the season of wither --Autumn -- and brings death to all she meets. This lonely existence pains her, as she is continually surrounded by the dead while desperately longing to have living companions. The CDs explore her journey

through self-realization (Act I), her search for, discovery of and final rejection of redemption (Act II), and what results from that rejection (Act III). It is not a story with a happy ending. Autumn never learns to make sacrifices for what she wants and is eventually consumed by her anger. As to why we put the story out in three parts - well, it just worked out that way.

Originally we thought it would take 4 CDs to tell the story, but we realized

it was finished with three. We're all kind of glad about that, because now

we can move on to different subject matter.



How has been "Winter and the broken Angel" doing through Europe and America? Are you composing new material?

ERIKA: "Winter..." has been selling fabulously well. It's the fastest

selling Autumn Tears CD to date -

almost 5000 copies in less than a year!

Mostly thanks to Europe - that's where people are buying it. We do sell it

in America (South American especially well), but Europe has always been

where we've seen the most success.

We're writing some material, but not a lot. Ted and I run Dark Symphonies

and lately that has kept us so busy that there just doesn't seem time for

eating, sleeping and also Autumn Tears! But we will eventually get a new

album written. We're not ones to rush things. We want it to be better than

Act III, and that will take some time and effort. It will come out when

we're happy with it... which unfortunately means at least not for another

year.


How did you hook up with Ted to do such an atmospheric and dark music?

ERIKA: Ted and I had been friends since college, so that means we've known

each other for over 10 years now! How time flies! We're both lifelong metal

heads, with an appreciation of other forms of dark music. When Ted started

the project, another woman was going to speak poetry over the music - there

was no singing planned. Quickly Ted realized that would be boring, so he

asked me to sing, I said yes, and the rest is history.



How different are the three parts of "Love Poems for Dying Children"?

ERIKA: Each one is more complex and better constructed. The greatest change

shows between Act II and Act III - three years passed in between those CDs.

Anyone constantly involved in music will change a great deal in three years,

which is what happened to us. The addition of Jennifer LeeAnna to the band

really added an inspiration for me, as she is a professionally trained

vocalist while I'm just making it up as I go! We really found our stride as

a trio; the first 2 CDs are good, but they have their basic, sometimes

repetitive parts and the vocals could be more adventurous. Thanks to Jen we

don't have that problem any more!


Where do you get the inspiration to compose your music?

ERIKA: It all comes from the heart and soul. Autumn Tears is very much based in emotion and life experiences. Sometimes the best music is written when we

are sad and things aren't going well - it just all pours out into the melodies.


I know that you are a writer too...What can you tell me about your novel?

ERIKA: Ah, the dreaded novel question. It's currently in a box in the stack behind me somewhere (I just moved). Unpublished, uncut, overly long and in need of a major edit. Where's the time? I can't even keep up with my email and right now I don't even have a regular day job - all I do is freelance and work on Dark Symphonies stuff. Perhaps someday I will revamp it so that it fits a little better with what's popular with the sci-fi world right now... however, publishers don't like long first novels from unproven

authors, so what I really should do is finish the other, much shorter story

I have half done and try to get that published!


Is the influence of literature important for Autumn Tears music? Which kind of literature is more interesting for you?

ERIKA: Literature really doesn't cross paths with Autumn Tears that much. We're not inspired by Shakespeare or anything like that. Like I said, the heart of Autumn Tears is our souls, hopelessly gothic and romantic they may be.

As far as which kinds of literature I find most pleasing, I would say modern fiction in general. I'll read anything from Stephen King and Tom Clancy to Michael Moorcock and Robert Jordan. If a book is well written, I'll read it, regardless of what it's about. No, I'm not into pouring over Shakespeare or other, older writers - I did that in high school and college and it was torment. Life's too short to spend it doing things you don't like to do.



How big was the change when Jeniffer entered the band? I know that shehas an amazing background...

ERIKA: I think I hinted at that earlier. When Jennifer came into the band,

she originally was going to be the lead singer, because I was busy banging

my head against the wall over the "dreaded novel." When I heard what she did on "The Intermission," I thought to myself, "no WAY will I ever compete with her. I better practice in case Ted asks me to do some more session vocals."

As it was, when I rejoined the band, I'd improved a little bit and had more

confidence. Having Jen to work out duets with is great. So much better than

doing all the vocal lines myself in the studio. Her voice lends a new

texture to the music that it needs. We're all very happy she's with us.


Are the music and lyrics in "Absolution" different from the ones

contained in the three acts of "Love Poems for Dying Children"?

ERIKA: On two out of three songs. "The Never" appears on that mini in a

slighly rawer form than on Act III. "The Absolution of What Once Was" and

"The Dance" don't have anything to do with the concept story. "The

Absolution..." was done for the Palace of Worms "Power of the New Aeon"

comp, and "The Dance" was just a fun experiment.


How is the music in Autumn Tears composed?

ERIKA: Ted writes 90% of the music. He'll come up with a main foundation and

build upon it, layer by layer. Sometimes we knit pieces together to make

entire songs, sometimes the song is written in skeletal form in one sitting.

It's a long and complex process of layering. After the music is mostly

complete, I'll take the tape and start working vocal tracks over it,

layering them in a similar way as Ted does the instruments. Then it's to the

studio to fight with the MIDI software and the inevitable flu I get the day

before I'm scheduled to do my vocals. A bumpy road, but one with a

satisfying ending.


How was the "Arcana Tarot Compilation"? Why did you choose to

representthe "Death" card?

ERIKA: I don't remember if we got to choose or were assigned the card.

Regardless, it worked out well, because the lyrics our friend Claudia had

written were perfect for the subject matter.


What can you tell me about the project Pandora?

ERIKA: There isn't much to say... I don't think Peter (from Arcana) has the

time any longer, nor do Ted and Jen. Oh well... we need to concentrate on

Autumn Tears first and foremost in terms of music projects.


Is there something more that you want to say?

ERIKA: Thanks to all who have listened to and liked our music, especially

you, Federico! As long as all of you are willing to listen, we will continue

to make our music. Hail your dark hearts!


AUTUMN TEARS WEBSITE: http://www.darksymphonies.com/autumntears


 AUTUMN TEARS - DISCOGRAPHY

Autumn Tears "Love Poems for Dying Children......Act I" - CD (1996)

The Garden of Crystalline Dreams......Love Poems for Dying Children......Act II - CD (1997)

Love Poems for Dying Children ... Act 1; REPRISE MCMXCVIII - CD (1998)

Autumn Tears "Absolution" - MCD (1999)

Love Poems for Dying Children - Act 3... Winter and the Broken Angel - CD (2000)


ACTUAL LINEUP

Ted - Composition, arrangements, piano, keyboards and vocals.

Erika Swinnich - Lead and backing vocals, composition and keyboards.

Jennifer LeeAnna - Lead and backing vocals, vocal arrangements, composition and keyboards.

session musician:


No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario